Preparation time: 30 minutes
1 tsp of instant coffee powder
1/2 cup of hot water
2 tbsp of icing sugar or powdered sugar
2 egg yolks
1 egg white
2-3 tbsp of cocoa powder
250gm of mascarpone cheese
About 15 ladyfinger biscuits
1. Mix the instant coffee powder with the hot water and beat lightly for a minute with a spoon. Set aside to cool to room temperature.
2. Add the icing sugar (or powdered sugar) to the egg yolks and beat well with a fork. Add the cheese and beat well again. If you have an electric beater, use that.
3. Whip egg white until stiff. You can use your electric beater (use a clean dry one) or just your fork or whip which will take much longer. Fold this gently into the cheese-yolk mixture.
4. Dip the ladyfingers in the coffee and layer them at the bottom of a square cake tin. Sprinkle cocoa powder over this generously.
5. Layer half the egg-cheese mixture over the biscuit layer. You can add some berries at this time if you wish. On top of the mixture, layer biscuits (dipped in coffee) once more and top off with some more cocoa powder and the rest of the cheese-yolk mixture.
6. Freeze overnight or at least 8 hours. Once it has set, sprinkle more cocoa powder or powdered sugar on top and serve chilled.
– the ladyfingers get soft very quickly so dip in coffee and layer immediately, don’t linger.
– you can spike the coffee with rum or cognac, or (and I want to try this myself) use Kahlua to dip the biscuits
– it may be a good idea to move the tiramisu to the refrigerator for an hour or so before serving but getting clean pieces will be tougher