Vegetable and rice frittata
Prep time: 15 min | Cook time: 30 min | Servings: 6
This quick, simple dinner is a wonderful way to clean out the fridge on Friday night, using up leftover rice and even last night’s cooked veggies. Plus, the leftovers are great for lunch – try them with pasta sauce.
10 mL (2 tsp) canola oil
1 shallot, finely chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
500 mL (2 cups) chopped fresh or frozen broccoli
Half red bell pepper, diced
5 mL (1 tsp) curry powder or paste
125 mL (1/2 cup) organic vegetable broth
250 mL (1 cup) cooked brown rice (prepared without salt)
3 egg whites
1 mL (1/4 tsp) freshly ground black pepper
1. In 20 cm (8 inch) nonstick skillet, heat oil over medium heat.
2. Cook shallot and garlic for 2 minutes or until softened.
3. Stir in broccoli, pepper and curry powder to coat.
4. Add broth, cover and cook for 5 minutes or until broccoli is tender.
5. Stir in rice to coat well.
6. Meanwhile, in bowl, whisk together eggs, egg whites and pepper.
7. Pour over vegetable mixture, lifting and stirring eggs into the mixture with a spatula.
8.Cover and cook for about 8 minutes or until edges are set and puffed.
9. Broil about 15 cm (6 inches) away from broiler for 2 to 4 minutes or until knife inserted in centre comes out clean and top is golden brown.
Tip: Make sure you’re using a skillet with a metal handle. If your skillet doesn’t have a lid, use a pizza pan to cover it.
Protein: 8 g
Total Fat: 5 g
Saturated Fat: 1 g
Cholesterol: 124 mg
Carbohydrate: 13 g
Fibre: 2 g
Sugars: 2 g
Sodium: 134 mg
Potassium: 235 mg